Sunday 30 September 2007

Recoletta Market


Every single girl I know would love Buenos Aires, just for the markets that are held on Sundays. Man, even I enjoyed them, and if you know me, I don't generally like to shop. Recoletta market is just like St Kilda market back in Melbourne, except it has just cool stuff, and there's all this other stuff going on. People are practising juggling, tight-rope walking and Capoerira..which is a dance that was created due to the Brazilian slaves not being able to fight one other. So even though it looks like they are having a barney, generally the point is to look like you kicking each other, without actually doing it.
Today was a great day, did my bit to try and fit in like a local, I cheered on the Pumas, who beat the Irish in Rugby, then did the Recoletta market experience. The weather has also really picked up, it was pretty cold when I arrived on Monday, but it has gradually got warmer throughout the week, today was a balmy 26...so I'm back to shorts and thongs again.
I have found out a couple of things since being in the hostel, Jewish people generally don't like Rugby and Vegemite. I'm basically on my own there, but at least my Vegemite will go further in South America. Every day I get some strange looks when I pull out the Yellow tube!
I had my first amazing meal last night with this cool Israeli named OZ. I can't I forget that one...and it's a lot easier to say then most names I come across...there seems to be lots of gutterel K's in the Jewish language...and that isn't a sound that I'm use to producing unless I've polished off half a slab of Carlton Draught. The meat was so tender, and unlike the meat in Brazil, you could season the meat yourself, so it wasn't salted at all.
I have been getting some very strange looks from others when they find out I'm 30, no one believes me, which is always a bonus.
Anyway will probably head to Uruguay for a few days tomorrow, so hopefully it will be just as nice as BA.

No comments: