Thursday 1 November 2007

Into Bolivia and Copacabana


I left Arequipa yesterday for Puno, which is a town in Peru near lake Titicaca, one pretty impressive lake..I think it's one of the biggest ones in the world.
I was lucky enough to find a decent bloke who was travelling my way, Mark from London..so we set off with a slightly rickerty Flores bus at 10.30am.
The bus ride was fine enough, we got to Puno at 4pm after one or two heart stopping moments. First a tanker lost it's load...which gave everyone a chance to stop and relieve themselves on the side of the road..with the toilets out of action this was a welcome relief..even for the Peruvian women just squatted and used their long dresses as cover.
The biggest heart-stopping moment was when Mark decided to get off the bus at this really dodgy town..I mean really dodgy..the bus took off and all his stuff was on the bus with me. I'm carrying enough stuff on my own, but thankfully after some arm waving I managed to get the bus driver to stop.
Puno isn't the nicest city in the world...it looks like a favela in Brazil, but we needed to stop there a night before heading into Bolivia.
We had a decent night there anyway, we went to this bar and had a few beers with some Canadians and Americans that we met on the bus. The place also had Jenga..which isn't the normal game I play when I head down to the pub, but after a few beers it was pretty enjoyable.
Besides this, we notice that at the end of the night restaurant owners dump their rubbish for the stray dogs to feast on...can't say I agree with the practice, it looked pretty disguising seeing it spread out on the road, but it actually fitted in with the general appearance of Puno.
Today we arrived in Copacabana, and I'm glad that I have a couple of days here, it's such a cool little town. We are only paying 20 Bolivianos, which is about $3US a night for our own room in a cool little hotel...it's half the price of the shed we stayed in last night..not that the shed was all that bad...but did the street look dodgy at midnight last night!

No comments: